2. All board members were in attendance.
3. A motion was made to accept the minutes from the previous meeting.
4. Dede advised that Ann Bittner from the Putnam County Health Department inspected and approved the opening of Warren and Jackson Beaches.
5. Lake Study Report - Duane, Hank, and Dede met with a biologist from Allied Biological to visually inspect the weeds in the lake; water samples were taken. Dede mentioned that along the shoreline areas there were water chestnuts growing that can become very invasive. These can be hand pulled in an attempt to control spreading.
6. CSLAP water sample testing will start at the end of June. An assessment and mapping of weeds will take place during the worst time for this which is expected to be in August; up until then, a visual inspection will be done.
7. An update was given on the public notice that will be mailed to all residents in the near future. It will discuss the brief history of Putnam Lake, deeded lake rights, policies, Advisory Board members, etc. Also, it will be mentioned that the town will provide a phone number in the near future for anyone who would like to contact the board. Additional information will include parkland clean-ups, lake water testing provided by CSLAP and Allied Biological and why it’s necessary, the ball field, swim team, swim lessons, Connecticut residents with deeded lake rights, and environmental literature on what we can all do to help the water quality in our lake.
8. Marge Auteri asked about allowing “associate members” to be permitted to use the beaches; Duane explained that the town code is very specific and the parklands/beaches are for residents within the district lines with deeded lake rights.
9. Marge Auteri asked about the town charging the district for the use of the bulletin board in front of the VFW. Dede explained that an approximate $20.00 fee was charged recently to the district by the town for this purpose since it’s the town’s message board.
10. Sue Logue asked why the Park District didn’t hire someone for maintenance. Dede explained that there were a lot of start-up expenses associated with the district. To offset this, a lot of people have been volunteering their time to do the jobs of maintenance personnel. Also, by doing these jobs firsthand, it’s afforded the opportunity to know who we will need, where, and what jobs will need to be done in the future. The district saved a lot of money with volunteers has handled all necessary maintenance.
11. Sue Logue asked why they didn’t hire a weed harvester. Dede stated that volunteers manually harvested weeds at the beach areas this year as has been done years past. She further explained that harvesting weeds without knowing the weed type or having a weed map can be very dangerous. Fragments can replant themselves and actually make the problem worse. After a weed analysis is complete as is planned this year in August, the board can make an educated assessment of the problem and develop a comprehensive lake management program.
12. Sue Logue asked about the fence continuation at Jackson Beach. Hank stated he’s working on the fence/getting prices. Duane added that additional changes are still being considered for drainage at the beach area so a temporary fence is being planned for installation. Dede and Hank met with the town to discuss additional drainage options and a berm is being added by the town in the next few days to help divert the runoff.
13. Laura DeMartino asked about the fencing near Lake Shore Drive. She explained that the gate doesn’t open up all the way. Hank will look at it this weekend.
14. Marge Auteri asked about security on the beaches and stated anyone twelve and over can be on the beach and she is concerned with bad language she heard being used. Dede explained that lifeguards will monitor this kind of behavior, and if necessary, contact the Advisory Board if issues aren’t resolved. Currently, no other district has formal security and it is not a budgeted item at this time.
15. A discussion was had concerning disposal of dog waste and residual garbage around the lake. It was determined that additional garbage containers will be set up in addition to Jackson and Warren beaches and the ball field.
16. Sue Logue asked if the board could please hand out agendas at future meetings. Dede will make sure extra copies are made for everyone.
17. Deb Lawlor asked if the minutes could be publicized. Duane advised they are available on the www.putnamlakeparkdistrict.comwebsite.
18. Meeting was adjourned.