2. The meeting minutes from the previous meeting were revised and accepted.
3. An update was given on the status of the carp gate grant. It was decided at the April 17 work session that the grant will be utilized for other lake improvements this year and the monies saved could be used towards a carp get next year.
4. Regarding additional lake management items, Pat advised that all district resident as well as Connecticut residents with deeded lake rights will receive a formal notification letter in the mail from the DEC concerning the algaecide treatments being done in the near future. Specific restrictions will be included and also, signage will be posted around the parklands.
5. Deb Lawlor asked if the lake study came back from Allied Biological. Hank stated that the advisory board received the results; the main issues are the algae and that’s why these treatments, along with herbicides, were recommended. Also, the weed map testing will be start in May. Pat added that Bill Poley and friends will begin the goose egg oiling very shortly.
6. It was announced that Mike Bloomer, the new maintenance person, will start work immediately and will perform general maintenance duties around the parklands such as mowing and raking the beaches and boat house area, etc. Also, the board purchased lawn equipment as well as a trailer. Tom will handle the registration, insurance paperwork, etc.
7. Hank advised that all lifeguards’ applications need to be handed in right away; Pat added that the town needs them by May 9.
8. Additional parkland maintenance was discussed to include getting new sand for the beaches, especially Warren Beach, and requirements for the Board of Health Approvals for beach openings.
9. Mike gave an update on the Swim Team and advised that Gerry Dolan will be meeting with the board shortly to finalize details such as registrations, budget, schedule of meets, etc.
10. Hank announced that the board is looking into offering swim lessons. One of the lifeguards expressed an interested and we’re currently finalizing the details. An update will be given at the next meeting.
11. A discussion was had with residents concerning compliance with no parking on the parkland, out-of-district residents using our parkland for fishing and other recreation, current fishing licenses, and posting additional signage for awareness. It was advised that in addition to board members, other residents are willing to volunteer to watch and police the parklands, and the Sheriff’s Dept should be contacted if necessary. Also, Pete advised the Town Code Enforcer has stated that it’s difficult to enforce certain rules without signs posted. Hank advised that Duane started a sign project last year and Tom will be continuing with this; it should be completed shortly.
12. Mike announced that there are currently 14 boats on the parklands without registration stickers. It was decided that Mike Bloomer will also be keeping track of any concerns with boat registrations. Also, notices will be posted in the near future on all boats that do not have current registration stickers.
13. An update was given on what was accomplished at the Spring Clean-up on April 26, such as dock installation, garbage pick-up, raking, and weed whacking. Hank stated it was a good turnout and thanked the residents for their participation. Also, Pat mentioned that she noticed a resident cutting down parkland property and she notified them. Further discussion ensued about proper signage being posted and Chris Lawlor advised that signs need to be approved by the town since it’s a legal issue. Pat emphasized that the residents are guardians of the lake. Hank asked Pete to check into the Highway Department (town’s responsibility and what is ours as residents). Also, a resident stated his concern about cars speeding on the roads bordering the lake; Pete advised to get as many details as possible about future incidents and report it to the Sheriff’s Dept. Also, they can put a patrol car in that area if it’s problematic. Also, residents were encouraged to put their complaints in writing as well.
14. The new walking path was discussed; Hank stated that the board is hoping to get a group of volunteers, along with hiring an engineer to design and lay out the parameters of the path. Hank will discuss this with Rich Williams.
15. Regarding the ball field, the new clay was added along with new fencing. Joe stated that everything looked good and the residents in attendance gave positive feedback as well. It was also mentioned that Vinny from 845 Co. is doing a good job with the field maintenance. The board advised that additional improvements will be done at the field to include new backstops, installing new benches, etc.
16. Concerning the Entertainment Committee, Pat Ploeger will speak to the town regarding the parameters needed to establish this committee and advise. Hank also announced that if anyone else in the community would like to start a committee, they can contact the board.
17. It was announced that upon Board of Health approvals, the beaches will be open on Saturday, May 24, for Memorial Day Weekend. Also, 2014 beach ID bracelets can be picked up at Town Hall. Mike will update the Fire Department sign. Tom added and the board agreed that it needs to work on public relations, such as more information presented to the community and board members need to be more visible in order to find out what people want done. John suggested that the person maintaining the website should put his name on it. Mike advised that he is maintaining the website and all board members’ names are listed on the website, along with a section for contacting the board via e-mail or by phone.
18. John proposed that we have a Jackson Beach committee. The board suggested that John may want to start this committee since we are looking for volunteers for any new, potential committees. Also, concerning Jackson Beach, Mike advised that the shed window was vandalized once again. Additionally, the broken lock will be fixed by the end of next week.
19. The meeting was adjourned.