2. The minutes from the previous meeting were accepted.
3. Hank gave an update on lake management. He advised that the permits have been submitted to the DEC and we are awaiting their approval. The permits submitted are for algaecide and herbicide treatments that will be applied by Allied Biological. The algaecide treatments should occur this summer and herbicide treatments may occur either this summer or next year, depending upon whether or not there are enough visible weeds to warrant it. If not, the herbicides will be applied next year, as the permits are good for two years. Additionally, the carp gate grant will probably change to include revisions; also, the weed study being done on the lake will be submitted by September. Two residents asked questions concerning the carp gate; Hank advised we’ll know whether or not we’ll use carp as an option by November. Also, the weed study will tell what kinds of weeds are in our lake. If we don’t use carp, we will use herbicides instead; this will help with eliminating curly pondweed which is prevalent in our lake. Once this is approved by the DEC, Allied Biological will post signage around the lake in all access areas so the public is aware they cannot swim for a 24 hour period. Mike advised that he will update our website as well.
4. An update was given on the new parkland signage; the signs are for identification of previous beaches and also, boat storage areas. They will be ready in approximately a week and then installed.
5. It was announced that new sand is being ordered for Warren Beach; it will arrive shortly as well.
6. Community activities were discussed:
- Residents were informed that the Men’s Softball League plays every Sunday and all is going well.
- Mike announced that Gerry Dolan will be available at Warren Beach on Saturday, June 7, in the morning for Swim Team registration/swim suit orders.
- Ann Krupenye will be teaching swim lessons (per the flyer handout); registrations will be held on June 7 and June 14 from 10 AM to 12 noon.
- Barbara See would like to start volleyball soon at Warren Beach on Tuesday evenings during the summer; this is open to the public. Pat will follow-up with Barbara to discuss the particulars/putting up the goose net during the games.
7. Mike advised that the Patterson Little League would like to use our field on occasion for practices; possibly one night per week. Mike will find out the schedule. Hank and Pete discussed a special insurance waiver so the team(s) can use the field. Pete will discuss with the town attorney and advise. Hank mentioned that he will advise Joe D’Elia that the little league may be using the field so that Joe can advise the captains (of the men’s league) to avoid scheduling conflicts.
8. Regarding beaches and parklands, wristbands and boat stickers will be available once again this weekend at Warren Beach on Saturday and Sunday from 12 noon to 5 PM. This will be the last weekend to receive them at Warren Beach; otherwise, they can be picked up at Town Hall during the week at the Town Clerk’s Office.
9. Additional signage was discussed for ‘No Parking’ areas as well as ‘Curb Your Dog’; the residents were informed that the Town Code Enforcer cannot enforce this without proper signage. An update will be given at the next meeting.
10. Regarding the Events Committee, it was announced that the Summer Kick-Off will be held on Saturday, June 21, from 2:00 to 5:00 PM; flyers were given out to residents.
11. Concerning Public Relations, it was discussed that Pete will give training at a Neighborhood Watch eting on July 10 at the Putnam Lake Fire Department starting at 7:00 PM. Mike will confirm the details with the firehouse. It was also noted that Henry Zemsky’s idea to expand the website to include all community happenings (i.e., events, tag sales, announcements, etc.) is a good idea. Mike will start working on this. It was mentioned that public notices should be distributed to advise the community.
12. A resident asked when the board is going to start implementing security for the beaches. Pat advised that part of the discussion at the Neighborhood Watch Meeting will be to identify the problems. Also, residents can go to the town website and look up Chapter 116 to access the Putnam Lake Town Code for a list of rules and regulations. Pat also offered her phone number in case anyone has any concerns. Pete gave an update on town wide items:
- The CPR lifeguard training course he held at the Patterson Recreation Center was very successful. Four of our lifeguards were trained by him and did very well; they will be receiving their certificates shortly.
- The Patterson Chamber of Commerce will be holding a Child Safety Day on July 13 at the Putnam Lake VFW from noon to 3:00 PM. Many businesses and organizations will set up booths that will focus on safety and there will be entertainment for the kids. Pete suggested the board promote a booth and Hank suggested promoting the swim lessons being offered; the board unanimously agreed.
Also discussed was lifeguard salaries; it was agreed that lifeguards for both districts should be making equal pay. Further discussion ensued concerning course reimbursements. Hank advised that he discussed this with the Patterson Town Park Chairperson and they are looking for a fair way to reimburse the lifeguards. Hank suggested reimbursing an hourly rate for their certificates. Further discussion will continue at the next meeting.
13. It was mentioned that the board may want to look into having defibrillators at Warren and Jackson beaches. Pete advised the cost is approximately $1,400 each. A resident suggested that maybe we can look into renting them. Pat will check with the American Heart Association to find out if they will rent them for three months during the summer season.
14. A discussion ensued and the board unanimously agreed that a revision to Chapter 116 Town Code needs to be discussed with Rich Williams concerning all boats, kayaks, etc. needing to have an identification sticker by next year. Additionally, a second amendment was suggested concerning the enforcement of car parking stickers and Mike discussed Chapter 116 – 7D; the code reads ‘Any vehicle parked at Park District facilities shall be required to display such identification sticker for the Park District, as may be determined necessary by Town Board’. Additionally, signage was discussed for ‘No Overnight Parking’ and ‘Parking for Park District Residents Only’.
15. The meeting was adjourned.