2. The meeting minutes from the previous meeting were accepted.
3. Upon approval from Pastor Tony, it was unanimously decided that a special meeting will be held on Tuesday, April 29, at 7 PM in The New Life Christian Church Hall in order to interview the remaining, interested applicants for the two, open board positions. Hank will confirm the meeting time and date with Pastor Tony. Also, candidates will be contacted to apprise of their interviews.
4. It was decided that the board will not hold a special meeting with the lifeguards for interviews; this will be scheduled during the work session on May 15. Hank will advise the lifeguards.
5. Regarding Jackson Beach, it was discussed that there is a lot of water collecting on the hill and proper draining needs to be done, along with considering a stone wall and fencing behind this area; more parking may also be available in front of the fence. The board agreed that this would be a good project for the Fall season.
6. Hank advised he spoke to Rich Williams regarding proper surveys for the open beaches; Rich hasn’t responded yet and Hank will follow-up. Pat mentioned that the town must have an engineer they use; if necessary, the two beaches could go out for bids to provide updated surveys, since Warren Beach has old drainage also. The grant may cover surveys or anything else performed this year. Marguerite added that algaecide treatments and the map study could be included as well. It was agreed that ‘includes water quality issues’ should be added to the grant in general. Pat advised she will call Charlie Cook tomorrow regarding rescinding the application for the carp grant and a new application will be submitted with these parameters. It was noted that reimbursement grants are usually time sensitive.
7. Tom mentioned that right now, we only have an approval for the carp gate; he asked when the weed study will be held. He was advised that the weed study will be done this summer, and the results will be given in September. Marguerite added that we need to show the DEC that we qualify for a potential, carp gate by doing this study. It was indicated that we have another application submitted for a second grant. A discussion was had regarding $50,000 left over from last year’s budget; however, we’re utilizing $4,500 from these monies for the study and permitting; the taxpayers deserve to see a return for their money; also, if we don’t utilize the $50,000 grant now, we could potentially lose it. Additionally, monies could be spent on a new fence at Jackson Beach, and a backstop at the ball field. Also, if the carp gate is considered later, the money saved from allocating other expenses (in lieu of the carp gate) can be utilized at a later date for this purpose. It was determined the carp gate will cost approximately $65,000 (approximately $15,000 of which will be allocated from our budget).
8. A recommendation was made to vote and accept the proposal to change the grant from a carp gate to the items on Charlie Cook’s agenda. The board voted and unanimously agreed; Pat will follow-up with Charlie and she’ll advise at the next meeting.
9. Hank announced that the CSLAP testing results indicated that we need to focus on the blue green algae specifically. This will be followed up at the next meeting.
10. It was noted that according to Trish Brooks, the permit fees for the herbicide and algaecide treatments was $800. Marguerite advised she spoke to Chris Doyle from Allied Biological concerning the herbicides and other applications. He will come here in May and do a visual inspection for weed types. He will also come here in June. If he observes summer weed growth, he will do the weed mapping.
11. Pat advised that the only permits currently approved are for algaecides and herbicides. She added that we have some time yet for the algaecide treatments since this will take place in July. Also, she confirmed that the DEC allows for treating up to a maximum of half the lake. Also, Chris Doyle advised that before the treatments are done, the dissolved oxygen amount will be determined along with the algae bloom. If the bloom is too severe and there isn’t enough oxygen, Chris will not do the algaecide treatments. It was also mentioned that Chris Doyle needs to be aware of blue, colored bloom after the weeds were pulled from the water last Spring. Further discussion ensued; Marguerite stated that Chris has the CSLAP report already. Marguerite or Pat will talk to Trish to confirm procurements are all set. The weed mapping contract was signed and is all set as well.
12. Pat spoke to Bill Poley regarding the goose egg oiling; she mentioned he wanted to work on this last year also. She has the necessary paperwork and will call Dede to find out where the nests are located from last year. Also, we have a permit in place for this year already. Bill and someone assisting him will utilize corn oil only for this purpose; Pat will follow-up.
13. Hank discussed the maintenance person for hire. He indicated the board’s first choice was not responsible in returning any phone calls. The board decided to pursue Mike Bloomer instead. He already has his application at Town Hall. Also, the town just sent out proposals for mowing the baseball field. Hank will follow-up. Tom mentioned that someone approached him about the maintenance position; he will recommend this person to contact the Advisory Board in order to apply as well. The board agreed it’s a good idea to have a back-up person and we need to hire someone who has a truck.
Hank mentioned the board may want to consider requesting a full-time employee from the Highway Dept. if there is a need for new personnel next year; he will look into this. The board unanimously voted for Mike Bloomer to be hired and Hank or Mike will call Trish to discuss.
14. Concerning the lifeguards, four have applied so far. Pat advised that Sue Brown needs to submit the lifeguards’ information such as name, title, time span working, and possibly work rate. It was agreed that Senior Lifeguards will be paid $13.00 per hour and Junior Lifeguards will be paid $11.00 per hour (the county approves the rates). Ben Krupenye will be tentatively listed as the Senior Lifeguard.
15. It was noted that Trish advised for last year, we had swim team vouchers. The swim team was paid a lump sum by the district. Mike will look into the details, as well as Swim Team coaches’ applications needing to be submitted, follow-up on early swim registration with Gerry Dolan, etc.; Mike will give an update.
16. Regarding the baseball field, Chris Lawlor spoke to Hank before tonight’s meeting began to advise there is a problem with the new clay delivered; there is a shortage, based on the amount ordered. Hank or Mike will follow-up and discuss at the next meeting. Also, it was announced that Duke Fence will be finished installing the new fencing by next Wednesday. Tom will follow-up on Monday regarding the contracts for the dumpster and port-o-sans.
17. Regarding boat storage, Pat mentioned there is a boat at Interlaken Beach that was abandoned and chained to a tree; Hank asked that she remind him on Spring Clean-Up Day and he will take care of it. Also, Spring Clean-Up Day is for trash pick-up only; Hank will call Russ Goff to confirm details.
18. Hank has the proposal requests for ‘Parklands Boat Storage Area’ signage; installation was discussed. It was noted that additional signage is needed for ‘No Parking’, and also for cleaning up after dogs.
19. The Entertainment Subcommittee was discussed and approved by the board; parameters, such as guidelines for funding, an umbrella insurance policy, etc. need to be discussed and established with the town. Marguerite will look into this. Based on input from Hank and Alicia Earle, it was determined and agreed by the board that this subcommittee will be self-funded.
20. It was mentioned that Dr. Efting checked twenty-four of the inflows around the lake. She requested borrowing boats to utilize and continue her research, along with her assistant.
21. BOHA and beaches were discussed; rafts will start to be installed at Warren Beach on April 26. The lifeguards may be utilized to pull weeds; the board agreed to fix the floats for this season and consider replacing them, along with walk-out docks, in the near future.
22. Tom stated that there seems to be a lack of communication and a lot of confusion throughout the community with regard to information about the Park District. He feels that in the future, it would be beneficial if board members were more visible throughout town; the board unanimously agreed. Also, Marguerite and Mike will work on the this as well with Public Relations.
23. Hank advised that he spoke to two residents who contacted the Park District; the first was concerning her boat being stolen by Jackson Beach. It was registered #97, and described as a 17 foot, aluminum boat. The second resident complained of people near Jackson Beach throwing mounds of yard clippings on the parkland. Relating to this, Pat advised she feels very strongly about the thirty (plus) homes having a special responsibility with their lakefront property. She suggested a link be added to the Park District website with more information; also, possibly organizing a committee with these residents. Pat will look into this as well as the complaint and advise the code enforcer.
24. The meeting was adjourned.